Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Mission Letter Week 19 - 25 November 2013

Hello family!!

This week has definitely been a struggle. We haven't really taught anyone except for a few less-active people, which we were happy to... but our investigators have just about all fallen through. There is one family we are teaching and they have a lot of potential, but he is very busy with his privately owned car shop...which is cool ‘cuz that may be something I do when I get home. :D So we talked a lot about that. But it's just hard to meet with them. When we can meet regularly though, I know they will go far. :D

We have started a new proselyting style... raking leaves and other forms of service! Service gets a lot more people opened up than door-knocking. We have found that we really have to be creative due to the fact that in this day and age, door-knocking and other "traditional" forms of proselyting just don't work. People come to the door already set to say no to anyone but a close friend. So the idea of online proselyting has spread (not here yet :( ) and we have to be creative with our contacting now... so that's exciting!

I feel tired, worn out, stressed, and SO BLESSED. I now fully understand what the Brethren mean when they told us that this is the hardest time of my life, but also the time when I am the most blessed and the closest to God. I wouldn't trade this for anything. *Nacho Libre voice*:  I love it, it’s the BEST! :D

A scripture I read this week with Elder S is in Alma 26:27-30 and it talks about what we can do when we are tired, stressed, discouraged, or whatever....WORK!!


“27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.

 “28 And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them; and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the world—not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God.

 “29 And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them; and we have been cast out, and mocked, and spit upon, and smote upon our cheeks; and we have been stoned, and taken and bound with strong cords, and cast into prison; and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again.

 “30 And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some.”


Just like one of the prophets said, the best thing to do for the Work, is to work! Work hard, pray when we can't work any more, and then work even more. We always find that we can go further than ever if we work with the Lord and do HIS will, HIS way.

I would also recommend, if you can find it, to listen to a talk called "Eternal Law". It's back in the days of President Hinckley. The speaker is David Alma Christiansen...not sure if that’s how you spell his last name...but it is the BEST TALK EVER. He's talking to missionaries but you can apply it to anything. :)

I have to say the number one thing that I have found the most important on my mission is RELY ON HEAVENLY FATHER! I am out here with no family, no close friends, and a goofy guy named S ;) from Sioux Falls, South Dakota. As much as I love Elder S, he just doesn't know me. Not like family or a best friend... or like Heavenly Father. As I have been out here in the middle of this forsaken desert, I have finally realized that He really has been there this whole time. I used to say I knew that for myself...but I guess I really didn't. I KNOW NOW. I just KNOW. My Heavenly Father LOVES ME. He is watching out for me. He's the wing-man that always has my back. He knows the plan that needs to be laid out for a successful time. If I rely on Him, and get over myself and my foolish pride and MY agenda, and work with Him on HIS agenda, I will have peace.  I will meet with success. Not always the success I think of, but the kind of success that I need. The kind that the Lord needs on the earth.
Plans for Thanksgiving are at the V's home, a part-member family. Bro V. is not a member and is struggling with...faith. Obviously. So we have been working with him…slowly. :P

That's pretty much it for this week though. I wish I had cool stories of progressing investigators, but I don't think the trial of our faith is quite over yet. :P We shall see!

TWO SUITS?!?!?!  AHHH!!! I JUST SCREAMED IN THE FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND SCARED EVERYBODY!! :D Thank you so much. I know now what a sacrifice it is to spend that type of money. As I realized how much money I take just for food and simple things I realized, as much as I can right now, how much a sacrifice it is to take care of someone... So thank you. Really. From the bottom of my heart.

BRAAK that is awesome to hear about work!! :D I hope it really works out for you, and that you find a job that gets the job done but that you love. It makes a difference if you do or do not like your job. :P A smart guy I know told me something like that...not sure who...hmmm.

Deep-fry the turkey in peanut oil!  >:D  I got to do that with Bro D once. I love that man. They are big shoes to fill...but you have big feet…BRAAK. All that stuff about Brother D ... :'( I would hold those ties very dear to my heart.

Emi, you can tell A, for me, that the first time I did the Sacrament Prayer, I had to do it about 5 times myself. He's a good guy and I'm really glad he has made the choice to live the gospel. :)

I did NOT know that Liberty plays bass! That is way cool! :D That must have been a fun duet to listen to! Our Ward here doesn't have very many music-y people in it. BLEH.

That is very cold!! It hasn't snowed here but we did have a hail storm and very VERY cold rain!! :D I'll attach some pics of the hail storm at the end of the email! It was AWESOME!! And it came out of nowhere on Thursday in the middle of our weekly planning! We were just sitting there and then BAAANNNGGGHKSWHEDKLHSBDIWYGBEKLSDBKSFR! Big thunder clap and a bunch of hail!! WHAT!!??

Love you too, Emi!! :D

I have not received the letter yet, but that is AWESOME that they got to meet him!!!!!!!!!!! :D  I told Brother M. (big fan of Glenn Beck) and he was like WHAT?!?! It was funny. So I can't wait to read about that!! I will probably go home and get it in the mail today! :D

Those Land’s End shirts sound AWESOME! And "Athletic Fit" makes me sound really good. >:) I like it. Bwahahahaha!!

BAHAHAHA! That quote is hilarious!! :D Thank you for that! Much needed humor! (“It’s not what kind of car you drive that counts, it’s the size of the arm you hang out the window.”)

Okay guys...picture time  >:)



HAIL :)
Victory! pose :D  It was painful with all the hail hitting my head! :O
Elder P .... not-so-Victory!-pose. :D
DUCK FACE  >:3
Playing RISK last P-day .... left to right are Elders S, P, S .. happy little trolls, aren't they? :D

That's all I got...thought I had more but oh well. :) I love you guys! LATER!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment